Sunday, February 20, 2011

3rd Night = Rough Night, but Good Day in the Forecast

Last night was pretty much terrible for a while. I told my mom that I wanted my momma last night...I would've surely let her take over for a minute so I could just go out in the hall and cry. The whole waiting-for-the-morphine-to-take-the-place-of-the-epidural thing was very painful for Lauren...and painful for me to watch. We never did get the pump, but it was given every 2 hours until finally we got enough in her system that we were able to go a whole 4 hours without a dose. To top it off, in the middle of all the pain, we realized that when we got her up to get the epidural out, her catheter detached from the tube. She also had a blister on her leg from some kind of allergic reaction to the catheter. It was during all the getting her cleaned up and taken care of that she was in her worse pain. Finally, exhausted and out of pain, she slept hard for 4 straight hours. I did have to wake her up several times to get her to breathe better (her O2 sat would drop into the 80s), but she would just go right back to sleep.

Now, she's awake and watching TV...ate a donut and drank some milk. She has her voice back, and she's actually talked to the doctor and nurses some.

Speaking of doctors, Dr. Blewett came in this morning and said we are going to get the catheter out first thing, start her on some oral pain meds (something like Percocet or Lortab) but keep the morphine on order every two hours as needed for pain breakthrough. Once she is no longer needing the morphine she can go home (he said plan on Monday or Tuesday at the latest...YAY!). Since she will no longer have the catheter, she will be forced to get up more which will help tremendously with her healing. We feel good about today and look forward to getting better.

Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, rejoice!
Philippians 4:4

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I've been praying for you and just remembered this evening that your mom had set up this blog for updates! Sorry to hear you've had to endure such pain. I hope you'll be up and around soon. You will continue to be in my prayers! Ms. LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are feeling better and that you are going to get to come home soon. I thought I might get to come and see you Tuesday because my mom has a doctor's appointment in Jackson but thank goodness you may be getting to come home!
    Emileigh

    ReplyDelete